Sunday, January 27, 2008

Transitioning Your Daughter from Relaxers

My oldest, M1, is transitioning from a perm for the 3rd time. At the age of 2, I permed M1's hair. I was a new mom with a child with hair vastly different from my own and I did not know what to do. I finally I saw the light after watching her little hair grow thinner and thinner with each relaxer. I transitioned her at the age of 5 and everything was peachy. Well, by the time she was 7, she decided she wanted the long flowing hair like her classmates. So, I decided that maybe, if I get her a relaxer at the salon it would be better. WRONG. Her first relaxer from the salon was beautiful! By the 2nd one, not so much. So, we grew it out by her wearing the kinky twist extensions for 1 year.

Well, you would think I would have learned my lesson, but noooooooo, I got a bright idea. M1 had grown tons of hair from those twists, so she cried everytime I had to wash and comb her hair. So, I decided that maybe I could put a texturizer on there to ease some of her discomfort. Well, I used the widely advertised texturizer for children that has the pictures of the little girls with wavy hair on the front. BAD IDEA. That mess straighted M1's hair within an inch of it's life. I was so pissed. So, now here we are growing out a texturizer that made her hair straight as any perm you could buy. Boo for me.

No comments: