Monday, January 28, 2008

Extensions for Children




After reminiscing on M1's hair journey, I really thought about how amazing it is to have grown 2 almost 3 new heads of hair for her. Because with each transition, I did alot of cutting away hair. I plan to finish up this last transition by cutting the rest of the "text-laxer" off when school ends for the summer break. I think the single most important thing to growing all of that hair so quickly is low to no manipulation. I washed her hair every other week, applied no heat, not even blow drying, and did a protective style that needed no combing during the 2 week period. When I say protective style, I mean cornrows, braids, twists. Any style where the hair is not "loose" and does not have to be combed daily, is protective.




I also would be remiss, if I didn't mention the help of a "good" braider and appropriate braid styles. Braids/Twist with extension definitely helped M1's growth, but it was because I never put heavy extensions, never used synthetic hair, and never let her hair be braided to tight. And oh, a good braider/twister WILL use oil while braiding the hair! M1 never lost her edges, never had thinning hair, never had those little bumps when it's too tight. My braid shop is staffed by Sengelese women and they are the bomb-bay! They had their lumps of coconut oil on the backs of their hands, babies wrapped on their backs, and they were some braiding/twisting sisters!


Shoot, now that I'm thinking, I need to make me an appointment to grow out my teeny weeny 'fro. ;)

No comments: